In Kentucky, nursing home abuse and neglect are a common occurrence. Elder abuse or neglect can occur in a number of circumstances and includes emotional abuse, physical abuse, sexual abuse, as well as financial abuse. The Goldberg Simpson Personal Injury and Medical Negligence Practice attorneys handle all types of nursing home abuse claims, whether resulting from negligence and intentional wrongdoing or those attributable to the following:
- Hygiene, medical care, and nutrition
- Understaffed facilities
- Overcrowded facilities
- Poor selection and training of personnel
- Budgetary constraints
Here are some of the instances where Goldberg Simpson attorneys can be of assistance:
- Physical Abuse. Elderly victims of physical abuse and assaults in a nursing facility can result in bruises, lacerations, and other forms of injuries. Friends and family should watch for signs of wounds, cuts, fractures or bruises, which can be signs of physical assault and battery, or unreasonable use of physical restraints.
- Sexual Abuse. Sadly, sexual abuse can and does happen in nursing home facilities. These situations often occur where poorly screened staff abuse their power or where the defenseless elderly victim is overmedicated and unable to protect himself/herself or, in some instances, is mentally challenged. Family members should watch for signs of physical assault and battery, sexual assault and battery, rape, molestation, and lack of adequate supervision.
- Emotional Abuse. Emotional abuse of elderly patients in nursing home facilities can take numerous forms, including yelling, belittling, or even ignoring. This can leave the victims withdrawn, anxious and fearful, and injured.
- Bedsores. Elderly patients in nursing home facilities are prone to developing bedsores-referred to as pressure ulcers. Bedsores are avoidable by moving patients regularly-they result from having been left to lay in bed unattended for too long.
- Improper Hygiene. Poorly maintained nursing home facilities are the greatest cause for the spread of viruses and bacteria. Elderly patients in nursing homes are most vulnerable to poorly hygiene environments.
- Dehydration. Complications from dehydration are serious and can be fatal. Family members should be alert to telltale signs of dehydration of elderly patients in nursing homes include dry mouth, cramps, upset stomach, and lightheadedness.
- Overmedication. Overmedication of elderly victims in nursing homes is a dangerous practice that will lead to long term complications. Conversely, failure to adhere to medication plans at all is also quite dangerous.
- Malnutrition. Elderly patients in nursing home facilities receiving insufficient amounts or poor quality of food will likely trigger a host of medical conditions such as bleeding gums, osteoporosis, organ failure and a swollen abdomen.
- Wrongful Death. Death often results from abuse or neglect of elderly patients in nursing home facilities.
- Financial Abuse. Financial abuse of elderly victims in nursing homes may occur when staff members are put in charge of financial resources. This can take the form of embezzlement or over-charging.
If you or a loved one is in need of legal assistance for elder abuse or neglect if a victim in a nursing home facility, call Goldberg Simpson at (502) 589-4440. In these cases, the victim and/or family of the victim may be able to take action against the caregiver or facility responsible for causing harm. No time should be wasted in getting the involvement of a knowledgeable attorney if you see signs of abuse or neglect of an elderly friend or family member.
The initial consultation is free of charge, and if we agree to handle your case, we will work on a contingency fee basis, which means we get paid for our services only if there is a monetary recovery of funds for our client. In many cases, a lawsuit must be filed before a specific date (statute of limitations). Please call right away to ensure you do not waive your right to possible compensation.
Experienced Louisville Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Lawyer
We help injured families in Louisville, Lexington, Bowling Green, Paducah, Ashland, Owensboro, Elizabethtown, Madisonville, and Pikeville, Kentucky. Call 502-589-4440 for a free confidential consultation.
Goldberg Simpson will help you recover financial compensation for your injuries, and generate the best outcome. Goldberg Simpson can help clients with nursing home abuse & neglect claims throughout the greater Louisville area, including the Kentucky counties of Adair, Allen, Ballard, Barren, Breckinridge, Butler, Caldwell, Calloway, Carlisle, Christian, Clinton, Crittenden, Cumberland, Daviess, Edmonson, Fulton, Graves, Grayson, Green, Hansock, Hart, Henderson, Hickman, Hopkins, Livingston, Logan, Lyon, Marshall, McCracken, McLean, Metcalfe, Monroe, Muhlenberg, Ohio, Russell, Simpson, Todd, Trigg, Union, Warren, and Webster, as well as the Anderson, Bath, Bell, Boone, Bourbon, Boyd, Boyle, Bracken, Breathitt, Bullitt, Campbell, Carroll, Carter, Casey, Clark, Clay, Elliott, Estill, Fayette, Fleming, Floyd, Franklin, Gallatin, Garrard, Grant, Greenup, Hancock, Hansock, Hardin, Harlan, Harrison, Henry, Jackson, Jefferson, Jessamine, Johnson, Kenton, Knott, Knox, Larue, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Lincoln, Madison, Magoffin, Marion, Martin, Mason, McCreary, Meade, Menifee, Mercer, Montgomery, Morgan, Nelson, Nicholas, Oldham, Owen, Owsley, Pendleton, Perry, Pike, Powell, Pulaski, Robertson, Rockcastle, Rowan, Scott, Shelby, Spencer, Taylor, Trimble, Washington, Wayne, Whitley, Wolfe and Woodford.